CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 3, 2009

So civilized

Lindsey spent the night with a friend last night, as did 4 other friends. Personally, this sounded like a recipe for disaster to me. That many girls, an odd number, peace seems out of the question. For years, every time Lindsey would go to a slumber party, I would ask her, "Were there any fights?" I have since quit doing this because she always said no. Somehow, as we have raised these politically correct little beings who are never to say anything controversial or disagree with anyone, they are more civil.
This was not the case in my day. EVERY time someone had a slumber party or any party, for that matter ... there was a fight. I actually narrowly escaped being sent home from a party because I was having too much fun with my best friend and not paying enough attention to the birthday girl ... at a party with like 20 people. Come on! I'm still a little bitter about it. Anyway, my best friend and I were seperated and that made the birthday girl happy and we were allowed to stay.
The most raucous of fights though, was between these twins I grew up with. They would get into a huge fight at every party. We are talking hair pulling, scratching, clawing, biting fights and we were at least 8 or 9 at the time! It was amazing and mesmerizing in a sick kind of way. As much as it freaked me out, I had to watch. And it totally went against everything I believed in. My brother and I never fought. My dad would not stand for it. He later told me that to see the two beings that he had created and were part of him fighting and acting like they hated each other broke his heart into a thousand pieces and he couldn't take it. At the time, he just said, "You two, cut it out", very calmly and seriously and we did.
So, all of this fighting was truly a novelty.
Not for Lindsey though. It is now 3 o'clock and she has been with these 4 girls since 7 o'clock last night. When I pick her up she'll just say that everyone had a lovely time.
Dang!

1 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my! What party are you talking about getting sepearted from? I know about the twin fight. I remember those vividly and lol when I read that! You have always had the best memory! I swear that baseball knocked half of my memories clear out of my head!